Psi Chi General Information
What is Psi Chi?
Psi Chi is the national honors society in psychology. Our club strives to provide information, lectures, social events, and networking opportunities in the psychology department for our members.
Psi Chi is an international honor society whose purpose shall be to encourage, stimulate, and maintain excellence in scholarship of the individual members in all fields, particularly in psychology, and to advance the science of psychology.
The mission of Psi Chi is to produce a well-educated, ethical, and socially responsible member committed to contributing to the science and profession of psychology and to society in general.
In pursuit of our mission we will:
- Advance the science and profession of psychology.
- Promote an educational experience consistent with the mission.
- Promote ethical and socially responsible members and leaders.
- Define and establish an organizational structure that promotes our mission.
- Recognize and foster the contributions that diversity makes to the science and practice of psychology.
How do I join?
Applications for Fall 2013 are available under the "Applications" tab above and may be slipped under the door of the Psi Chi office in LS 114, or given to an officer during a meeting. Fill out an application and turn it in with a check made out to SDSU Psi Chi in the amount of $90. The deadline for applications is November 1st.
* NOTE! To achieve an active status in Psi Chi, you must earn 18 points during a semester regardless of when you are accepted into Psi Chi. You can start earning points before you are accepted. So feel free to participate right away!
What are the requirements?
To be a part of Psi Chi, you must be a psychology-related major (pre-majors are considered majors in this case), or a psychology minor such as CSP, Social work or criminal justice. You must also be also be a second semester sophomore and have 9 units of psychology completed with a 3.0 Psychology GPA as well as an overall GPA of 3.0.
What does it mean to be an active member?
To be considered an active member, you must have 18 points win the club which can be achieved by attending our meetings and participating in our events.
What do I get if I become a member?
Once you are accepted into Psi Chi, you are a member for life. As a member you are eligible for for scholarships and awards. You can also attend our meetings, which will help you learn more about the field of psychology. We would like to encourage you to become an officer and really help make a difference within the club. You will also receive chords for graduation after being an active member for two (2) semesters.
Where are the meetings?
For the Fall 2013 semester, our meetings will take place on Wednesdays from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM. Room TBA